*Thanks to Abodent.com for partnering with me on this DIY under bed storage project! This post contains affiliate links.
I may or may not have just laughed at the title of this post. If you’re British, you’ll probably get why. If you’re not, and haven’t a clue what I’m on about, here’s the urban dictionary’s take on it.
Knob = The name that is given to an individual that is being a complete moron, idiot or dumb-ass. Also lacking in common sense
I’m pretty sure we can all think of a couple of people in our lives that fit that description … right?
(There were a few other definitions on there too but lets keep this PG rated!)
I’m here to talk about a different kind of knob today. The cupboard and pulls kind. The ones you might find on gorgeous upcycled pieces or designer furniture that just exude contrast and character.
Well Ok, I don’t know much about designer furniture , but I do know a thing or two about making things appear that way (in other words – how to fake the expensive look). And also how frustrating it can sometimes be trying to find the right hardware to fit your decor or projects.
So of course, when Abodent got in touch to collaborate with me, I was beyond excited!! My first thought whilst browsing their online shop was, WHERE HAVE YOU GUYS BEEN ALL MY LIFE??
Ok, maybe a bit much, but I really felt like I had struck gold!
I decided I was going to try out some of their contemporary vintage style knobs on DIY under bed storage boxes I planned to build. Here’s how they turned out!
If you’ve read my previous post where I was forced to create a compact diy beside table, you’ll know just how tiny my bedroom is. These rolling under bed storage boxes are the perfect space saving solution for storing, shoes, bags and other stuff you cant shove into the wardrobe!
Below is my quick tutorial on how to make them and I have also included a roundup of my favourite modern vintage style knobs from Abodent!
FYI: I’m pretty pleased with how the bedroom makeover is progressing (UPDATE: the bedroom is finally done – take the tour here!)
[Psst! Join me on Instagram to keep up with my latest going-ons and behind the scene ideas]
MATERIALS USED TO MAKE ONE DIY UNDER BED STORAGE BOX:
- screws (40mm long)
- Power drill
- Mitre saw
- 90 Degrees angle clamp – optional
- 4 x Castor wheels (40mm)
- Wood (w 18 x 144 x 1800mm)
- 1 x sheet of Plywood (9mm thick)
- Wood glue – any brand will do but I used this one
- Tape measure
- Black Washi tape (6mm thin)
- Wallpaper – this one I bought off ebay Uk!
- PVA or Elmers glue
- 1 x ‘handle hands‘ knob
- 2 x ceramic knob
HOW TO MAKE A DIY UNDER BED STORAGE BOX:
1. I know it’s pretty mundane, but it’s always a good idea to work out your measurements before building – ANYTHING! I measured the width and height of the space under our bed frame to work out how big I needed the boxes to be (and also how many I could squeeze under there!)
Can you spy all the junk under this thing??
2. Next I cut the the wood into four pieces with my mitre saw.
It’s important to add here that before I became all DIY fancy, I used basic tools like manual saws and/or a jigsaw to cut my wood. Hard graft – but it works!
Manual tools are a great alternative if you dont want to shell out money on the big guns.
So the goal was to make a box – rectangular in shape.
The longer pieces would make the sides and the shorter pieces – the front and back
3. Pre-drill two holes to each end of the wood. I stacked the two sets of wood on top of each other to save a bit of time!
4. Assemble the corners of the under bed storage box.
Squirt wood glue to the ends of the wood.
Attach the two ends of the wood together at a 90 degree angle (TIP: I used this handy angle bracket clamp to ensure the angle was dead on straight) and secure in place with two screws.
Do this on all four corners until you have a rectangular box!
5. Cut the plywood with a jigsaw or circular saw to make your base . You can use your box to draw out an outline before cutting (you need this to be perfect!).
Screw the base into the box frame (pre drill holes before screwing!)
6. Then, screw in the castor wheels to all four corners of your under bed box -and voila you have a box that rolls.
Hey I forgot to mention earlier but when measuring out the sizes of your boxes – dont forget to take into account your wheels size too!
7. You’re almost there – now decorate! I went for a modern natural look and so decided against staining the wood (or even painting). I found Washi tape was great for this part
I screwed them to the front of the box by pre-drilling holes to the centre. Don’t forget to measure width and height (then half those figures) to ensure you get your knobs smack bam in the middle!
This ‘handle hands pull is particularly gorgeous isn’t it?
I’ve rounded up a selection of other knobs from Abodents’ cupboard knobs range that have that modern /vintage look!
MODERN VINTAGE KNOBS ROUNDUP
CLICK BELOW TO VIEW EACH KNOB IN MORE DETAIL
Don’t you just love them!! Also international shipping and if you use ‘grillo-designs’ at checkout you get 10% off! It really doesn’t get better than that right??
Aside from the knobs though, I hope you’ll give these DIY under bed storage boxes a try! Drop me a comment below if you have any questions. You can also check out some of my other bedroom projects below!
*This post was sponsored by Abodent. I only partner with brands I LOVE! . All ideas, photos and opinions are 100% my own*