Hi there. Join Grillo Designs on Instagram and Pinterest to keep up with our latest posts and ideas. If you’re on Facebook, why not join our Home decorating, Upcycling and DIY group too – inspiration is guaranteed!
So I decided to take the plunge and paint my cream IKEA fabric sofa! Why you ask?
Well firstly, I will always choose frugal over anything else when it comes to re-decorating (upholstering is expensive and maybe just a little too time consuming). And secondly, I’ve come to the realization that anything of a light cream colour is a huge no no when you have a toddler who likes to eat food just about anywhere!
To be honest, I got the inspiration to do this from my Facebook group Grillo Designs Home Decorating and Upcycling group I had seen some great results of painted fabric sofas from the members on there and through asking the right questions, gained a brief outline on how it was done.
Materials I used:
Valspar emulsion tester pot x 2 (DARK GREY)
Valspar emulsion tester pot x 1 (LIGHT GREY)
Old cleaner spray bottle.
Authentico Clear Wax
Old dish rag
This is how the chair looked before:
1. Spray chair with water to dampen the fabric using the spray bottle.
2. Apply paint with a good brush lightly over all the dampened fabric. At times you might have to spray more water over areas just to help the paint absorb into the fabric.
3. Once you have completed the first coat of paint, leave to dry for 24hrs.
4. Sand lightly with sand paper and dust off before applying the second coat of paint.
5. Paint second coat and leave to dry for 24hrs – sand again.
6. Paint third coat and leave for 24hrs – sand again (This third coat is not a must)
7. Use the painters tape to create your pattern – then paint the areas lightly using the valspar light grey paint.
Do not remove the tape while paint is wet. Leave paint to dry for another 24hrs – and sand again
8. Remove tape.
9. Apply clear wax using dry cloth and buff. Leave to cure overnight.
And that’s it! I hope you’ll give this a go. Please ask away if you have any questions!
[info_box title=”Medina Grillo” image=”” animate=””]
Hi. My name is Medina Grillo and I love all things DIY, DECOR and DESIGN related. I am a mother to a fantastic little boy and wife to an amazing husband who puts up with my crazy ideas and insane creative mood swings ( the best part is, he has a secret talent for woodwork but shhh you didn’t hear it from me!). I am the creator of this website and co-owner of the Grillo Designs Home Decorating Upcycling and DIY Facebook group.
To see more Grillo Designs DIY projects, click here. To see projects from our group members, click here..If you have any questions , please feel free to leave a comment below! And don’t forget to save images to PINTEREST if you want to give this a go!