Furniture Painting – Questions and Answers

Home Forums GENERAL CHAT Furniture Painting – Questions and Answers

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Patricia 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Patricia
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I’m Patricia and painting furniture has been my full time job for about 4 years now. I’m also a busy wife and mom to two boys, three cats and one dog. We live in a lovely small town in Connecticut, USA. I work from home and my business is called The Wood Spa (www.thewoodspa.com)
    All I’ve learned about painting furniture was thanks to incredible artists who generously share all their “secrets” online via their blogs, social media, and YouTube. I also learn a lot from my own mistakes, and trust me, after four years and hundreds of pieces refinished, I’ve made a LOT of them!
    I hope I can learn a lot from the participants in this forum, not only about furniture painting, but also on topics I consider myself clueless about, such as home decor. I am also more than happy to answer your questions about what I do.
    As always, I am very happy to be part of the Grillo community!

Medina
    Keymaster

Your stuff is awesome Patricia truly. We can all really learn from you šŸ™‚

1 user thanked author for this post.

Patricia
      Participant

I have a table & chair that I bought at a thrift store. I want to pint them, but am on a very tight budget. I also am.learning to decoupage using napkins and fabric. Any idea and <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>how.to</span> do it suggestions very welcome. The wood is dark but closer to table.picture.

Pegleeb, the good thing about painting furniture is that you can do it on a very low budget. To paint those two pieces (a chair and a small side table) you will probably need not more than 1 pint of paint. And you can buy $5 samples of paint at any hardware store.
      These are the basic steps:
      – Light sand your pieces (120 grit sandpaper)
      – Clean them well with TSP or water/vinegar mix)
      – Prime (I like Rustoleum Primer Spray)
      – Paint them using a foam roller and a paint brush for details and corners
      – Seal with Polycrylic

You can watch this video tutorial to see how I paint furniture with a roller and paintbrush. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n2_dvq4XTw

Amanda B

I’m a huge fan of your work Patricia. I love your staging as well. Sometimes I see photos of yours shared on Facebook or Instagram and I know right away just by the style that the piece is yours. šŸ˜€

Pegleeb
    Participant

I have a table & chair that I bought at a thrift store. I want to pint them, but am on a very tight budget. I also am.learning to decoupage using napkins and fabric. Any idea and how.to do it suggestions very welcome. The wood is dark but closer to table.picture.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  Pegleeb.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  Pegleeb.

Patricia
    Participant

Iā€™m a huge fan of your work Patricia. I love your staging as well. Sometimes I see photos of yours shared on Facebook or Instagram and I know right away just by the style that the piece is yours. šŸ˜€

Thanks Amanda! So nice to know that you can actually recognize my pieces! The best compliment šŸ™‚

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.